Direct School Admission (DSA) Exercise
1. Chung Cheng High School (Yishun)’s Distinctive Programme, Learning for Life Programme (LLP) aims to cultivate values through Aesthetics. Our DSA-Sec criteria is related to our LLP (Aesthetics).
2. Aesthetics takes the form of, i) Music, that includes the playing of Chinese or Western musical instruments, and Singing, and, ii) Movement, that includes various dance forms and Wushu.
3. We invite Primary 6 students with strong interest in the above mentioned Aesthetics to apply through DSA-Sec Exercise.
4. Selection Criteria
Applicants must demonstrate competence in any of the following:
a) Ability to dance (traditional or modern);
b) Ability to sing;
c) Ability to play a Chinese or Western musical instrument; and
d) Display skills in Wushu.
a) Demonstration of talents through auditions
5. Application starts on Mon 8 May and ends on Fri 30 June at 5pm. Please note that late submission of application forms will not be considered. The application timeline is illustrated in the table below:
|Mon 8 May 2017 |
DSA application opens
|Fri 30 June 2017 |
DSA application closes at 5pm
|Mon 10 Jul to Fri 31 Aug 2017 |
Auditions and Interviews for Short-listed applicants
| Mon 30 Oct, 9am to |
Fri 3 Nov, 3pm 2017
Exercise School Preference Stage
(DSA-Sec students who receive at least one DSA-Sec offer may indicate up to three school preferences)
Late Nov 2017
Release of DSA Results
6. The application process is as follows:
a. Application Stage (Mon 8 May to Fri 30 Jun 2017)
Interested applicants may download and complete the DSA-Sec Application Form found through our school website (). Hardcopies of application form can also be obtained from the school’s General Office during office and school hours (Mon to Fri, 9am to 5pm).
Submission of hardcopies of the application form, along with supporting documents should be made in person or by registered post to:
Chung Cheng High School (Yishun)
11 Yishun Street 61
Attn: Mr Victor Tan
Please note that application forms via fax and/or electronic mail will not be accepted. DSA application will close on Fri 30 Jun 2017 at 5pm. Any late submission of application forms will not be entertained.
The following supporting documents are compulsory:
- Certified true copies of Primary 4, 5 and 6 Mid-Year and End-of-Year result slips listing academic results, CCA/s achievements and conduct grades
Additional supporting documents (if applicable):
- Relevant qualifications certified by institutions or academies of reputable standings
- Portfolio of own works and achievements as supporting evidence of previous experience or/and musical background. This could include certificates/ documents of participation/ achievements in relevant competitions or events
- Any other relevant document/s deemed useful to support the application
Short-listed applicants will be informed of the dates, appointment timings and other details for their audition/selection trials and interview via email.
For Students not studying in MOE mainstream schools
Students who are not studying in MOE mainstream primary schools are to obtain a Registration Number (RGxxxxxxx) from MOE Customer Service Centre upon the start of DSA Exercise. A photocopy of the letter with that registration number has to be submitted to the school.
Please note that Singapore Citizens (SC) or Permanent Residents (PR) who are not studying in MOE mainstream schools (e.g. studying overseas) are also required to do likewise. The letter may be obtained from MOE Customer Service Centre, located in 1 North Buona Vista Drive, Podium Block MOE Building, Singapore 138675.
Do note that, International Students without Dependant’s Pass (DP), Immigration Exemption Order (IEO) and whose parents are non-SC/SPR, are required to pass the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS) before being considered for DSA-Sec allocation. (For more details of AEIS, please refer to the MOE website, https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/international-students/admissions-exercise)
International Students who failed AEIS or did not qualify for the course which the school offer, will not be considered for DSA-Sec allocation.
Do also note the following age requirements for students entering Sec 1 in Academic Year 2018:
- Singapore Citizens/ Singapore Permanent Residents must not be more than 4 years overage (i.e. born between 2 Jan 2001 and 1 Jan 2006).
- International Students must not be more than 2 years overage (i.e. born between 2 Jan 2003 and 1 Jan 2006). Underage applications will not be entertained.
Students Accepted by Singapore Sports School (SSP)
Students who have accepted the offer from SSP should not exercise their school preference during the Exercise School Preference Stage. They should continue to take part in the S1 Posting Exercise. If they exercise their school preference during the Exercise School Preference Stage, their earlier SSP offer will be void.
b. Selection Stage (Mon 10 Jul to 31 Aug 2017)
Short-listed applicants will attend auditions/selection trials and interviews conducted by relevant CCA instructor/s and CCA teacher/s-in-charge.
Details will be sent to the short-listed applicants via email.
c. Selection Outcome (19 Sept 2017)
Results will be compiled and applicants will be notified of the selection outcome. Letters will be issued to all DSA-Sec applicants by 19 Sept to inform the outcome:
i) Confirmed Offer (CO), ii) Waiting List (WL), iii) Rejected.
Applicants given a Confirmed Offer (CO) are guaranteed a place and a course [Express, Normal (Academic) or Normal (Technical)] in the school, for which the student is eligible based on the PSLE aggregate of the student.
d. Exercise School Preference Stage (30 Oct, 9am to 3 Nov, 3pm, 2017)
DSA-Sec students who receive at least one DSA-Sec offer may indicate up to three school preferences. They can do so online via the DSA-Sec Internet System (IS) or physically at their primary schools.
e. Release of DSA Results (late Nov 2017)
DSA-Sec candidates studying in MOE mainstream schools will receive their DSA-Sec results together with their PSLE results through their primary schools.
Candidates not studying in MOE mainstream schools can collect their DSA-Sec results from MOE Customer Service Centre.
Successful DSA-Sec candidates who took PSLE are NOT allowed to participate in the S1 Posting Exercise. However, if they are eligible for third language and/or course options (e.g. Express/NA, NA/NT), they may exercise these options during the S1 Option Phase.
Successful DSA-Sec candidates are NOT allowed to transfer to another school after the release of the PSLE results. They are expected to honour the commitment to the posted DSA schools for the duration of the programme admitted to.
Unsuccessful DSA-Sec candidates will be notified of the outcome of the application and will participate in the centralised S1 Posting Exercise to opt for schools. Schools will not further engage these students to avoid giving them the false impression that they will be able to transfer to the school on a discretionary basis after the S1 Posting Exercise.
7. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are there any other documents that I need to submit together with the DSA-Sec application form?
You have to submit all supporting documents that are certified true copies to support your application.
I have received several DSA-Sec offers, when must I decide to accept one?
You will have to indicate your preferences for up to 3 schools during the Exercise School Preference Stage. This will be conducted from 30 Oct to 3 Nov 2017 at your own primary school or online via the DSA-Sec Internet System (IS).
Are relevant qualifications (or certification) in Dance/Music/Wushu compulsory?
No. However, certification in relevant skills and training, and proof of achievements would be an added advantage in supporting the application.
8. Contact Details
For any enquiries, do contact the following personnel in charge of DSA:
- Mr Victor Tan at 6758 3912 ext. 217, email at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Mr Alvin Tok at 6758 3912 ext. 280, email at email@example.com; Please indicate the subject title as ‘DSA Enquiries’ in your email;
- Call our General Office during office and school hours, from Mon to Fri (except Public Holidays and eve of PHs), 9am to 5pm, at 6758 3912 to fix an appointment.
For more information related to DSA, kindly access the MOE DSA-Sec website:
DSA-Sec Application Form
Annex B DSA-Sec Application 2017 (CCHY).pdf