CHUNG CHENG HIGH SCHOOL (YISHUN)
Home > About Us
History of Chung Cheng High School (Yishun)
The Early Years
Chung Cheng High School first started functioning as an all-boys school in January 1939 at Kim Yam Road in Singapore. In its early years, the school attracted students from ASEAN countries. It ceased to function during the Japanese Occupation and resumed operation as a co-educational school in September 1945 after the Second World War.
In August 1947, to cope with the increased student population, part of the school moved into a new school building in Goodman Road. The old school at Kim Yam Road continued to function and was renamed Chung Cheng High School (Branch) and subsequently in May 1969 was relocated to Guillemard Road.
In 1981, following Singapore’s emphasis on bilingualism, the school began to take English stream classes. Currently, the school offers secondary education courses in the Express, Normal (Academic) & Normal (Technical) streams for pupils.
Chung Cheng High School has performed well in providing excellence in education. The staff and students are committed in their endeavours to forge ahead to face challenges and to adhere to the school spirit of moral integrity, perseverance and diligence in their quest for both academic and personal success.
Relocation to Yishun
Before the 1990s, the physical amenities at the school were adequate and provided a conducive environment for both teaching and learning. However, as the years rolled by and with new initiatives introduced in education, the need to upgrade the school facilities and to move to a spacious location became a pressing concern. As rebuilding the school on the current 0.6 hectare of land was not feasible, the school opted for relocation to a more spacious better-equipped school to ensure its competitiveness.
In 2002, the school made further progress with its plans to relocate to Yishun. Floor plans for the site were firmed up after a series of consultations with the MOE, School Management Committee (SMC), architects and school staff. Construction of our new home in Yishun was expected to be completed in 2004. Meanwhile, every effort was made to ensure that our new premises will facilitate teaching and learning to realise the school’s vision of becoming a premier and prestigious educational institution.
In January 2003, in preparation for its move to Yishun, the school operated at two campuses, the current Guillemard site and the holding school at Sembawang Drive. Chung Cheng High (Yishun) with its staff and eight classes of Secondary One cohort pupils made their presence felt in the north. The school took on the challenge to co- ordinate programmes and functions at the two campuses and to ensure that the Chung Cheng spirit and traditions remained intact when the school completed its move.
The ground-breaking ceremony on 30 March 2003 at Yishun symbolised the charting of a new chapter in the history of the school. Despite the mobility restrictions created by the SARS outbreak, the School Management Committee members led by Chairman Mr Wee Cho Yao, laid the foundations for the new school, witnessed by the staff from the two campuses at Guillemard and Sembawang.
The long-awaited dream to relocate to a more spacious and refreshing environment came true on 25 June 2005 when the new campus at Yishun Street 61 was opened with a ribbon cutting moving-in ceremony attended by VIPs, teachers and students. The school’s staff and students started semester two in the new premises equipped with the latest facilities. The official opening ceremony, held on 30 June 2006, was graced by the presence of then Minister of Education & Second Minister of Finance Mr Tharman Shanmugaratnam. The grand occasion inspired Chung Cheng High School (Yishun) teachers and pupils to look forward to new heights and create more new chapters of Chung Cheng history in Yishun.